We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Monday, June 15, 2009

Happy, Happy Birthday, Baby....





43 years ago today...the biggest blessing in my life came to this earth. Oh, how I wish he was here to celebrate accordingly:

*Sleeping in (the Marines give you your birthday off, if possible)

*Being exempt from having to do anything he doesn't want to do

*Special presents

*A nice, long nap

*Whatever his heart desires for dinner (at home or out)

*Dessert of his choosing (even cheesecake)

*Other activities, as directed ;-)

Since these things will have to wait (other than the presents...which we mailed), all I can really do is shower him with the adoration he deserves. Where do I start? Actually the problem isn't where to start...it's when to stop...but I'll give it a whirl.

Many of you know how Cliff and I met...he came into my clinic to get his 24 year physical when he was a Marine Reservist. When he tells the story, it goes something like, "I was the finest specimen she had seen in a thousand, and she just had to have me." Truth be told, he had just lost ten pounds thanks to a bad flu, and tipped the scales at about 140 lbs. at nearly 6 ft. Lust was not the feeling that overcame me...it was more like pity.

Although we had subsequent, brief encounters, I was no more familiar with him than any of the scads of Marines I worked with every day. Nearly a year later, all of that changed. Our first date began with a rifle range detail. He was there to issue weapons and ammo, I was there in case someone got hurt. That left us both with LOTS of time on our hands while these Marines spent their day trying to qualify. I brought a good book (Kurt Vonnegut's 'Breakfast of Champions') which he later accused me of using as a prop (yes, I planned on trying to score a Rhodes Scholar at the rifle range). I always assumed he was a spoiled, Orange County brat. For one thing, he looked like a teenager....for another, he drove a Trans-Am. I figured this whole Marine Reserve thing had more to do with a macho fantasy than anything. (Do you like how judgmental I am toward this kid that I've barely spoken to? Nice!)



Anyway, we talked and talked...we just really clicked. The more I learned about him, the more I wanted to hear. Pretty soon it was time to go, and I didn't want it to end! I was SO excited when he asked me what I was doing that night. He came to pick me up, and it wasn't long before he showed me a roll of quarters, and explained that this was going to be our budget for the evening. A true Scotsman, you say? Truth be told...he had been recalled to active duty during Desert Storm and had not been paid in 2 months. We were going to go out on his laundry money. Surprisingly, instead of being incensed that he would be so presumptuous...I was honored and impressed that he would want to take me out so badly that he wouldn't let a little thing like money get in the way.

Cliff had the whole thing planned out. That night we rode the ferry to Balboa Island and back (.35 each way), played some arcade games, walked 2 piers and 3 beaches, and split a dessert at a seedy little coffee house. We never ran out of things to talk about. It was hands down, the best date I had ever been on (and there had been many). There was no restaurant nice enough, no man rich enough, to top what I felt that evening. I still can't really put what it was into words. I was just SO impressed with his authenticity, with all the challenges he'd been through, that he was putting himself through school and not letting any obstacles stand in his way. I have seen that perseverance through the years again and again. His vision and compassion amaze me.



When I look back at the past 18 years, I can't believe I got so lucky. I am missing him like crazy today, wishing I could be with him to make his day extra special. Sure, I sent him some nice gifts to hopefully bring him some comfort...but like I learned on our first date...it's not the things that money can buy that make the day special...it's the quality of the company.

Happy birthday, Sweetie pie...and happy anniversary on Wednesday, too! Wish you were here so we could do all your favorites...but I promise we'll make up for lost time!

9 comments:

Amy said...

Awwwwww. I feel for you, sister. And your main song on the blog makes me BAWL! Hope you're making it through the lonely times! ♥

Tylershark said...

Happy Birthday Cliff!

Mom said...

I think you are both fortunate to have found each other. I am so proud of you both, and your family. I love you all. Happy Birthday, Cliff.

Carrie Stuart said...

Thanks, guys...and Amy, it makes me bawl, too. I found it by accident on a photography website and have been listening to it ever since. I'm masochistic like that! Love you guys!

Mary and Sean said...

I love stories about meeting for the first time and falling in love... I also love the scrunchy in your long hair picture!

Living in oblivion said...

i love your version of how ya met!!! That last pix, oh my frickin gosh!!! ya two look like your 13!!! LOL!

Lisa Lamont said...

HI Carrie,

You seemingly always have the come-hither look in your eyes. As if, you're so innocent. I know better. Great pictures.

TTFN,
Lisa

Carrie Stuart said...

LOL, Lisa...I actually get that comment a lot...and I just don't see it! Not that I'm claiming innocence (I'm too old for that ;-)) but I think I just look normal.

Janette said...

You're so lucky to have those early pictures of Cliff...they are treasures.

I hope he (and you) had a good day!