We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Friday, December 17, 2010

What to do while waiting for your car


Troy had a little accident with Lopez. He was off base, backing out of a driveway and he backed into and scratched a local's car. He was pretty freaked out about it, but it went pretty well, all things considered. He called us, we told him to call the number for the military police on his driver's license and they came right out and everyone was nice and professional. Unfortunately, even just a scratch can be several hundred dollars these days.

So today, I had to go drop off Lopez with our insurance carrier (which is also part of the business where we bought the van) so they could look at our damage (which is too hard to distinguish from the damage we receive each and every time we drive our van around this island...every bump and dip cracks the bumper anyway...but don't get me started on how much I hate the dealership that sold us the van) and also so we could give them the accident report for the other insurance company. I had a bunch of time to kill while I waited for them to be done, or Cliff to come pick me up, whichever came first. What else is there to do besides take random pictures of stuff? So I walked next door to Lawson, to see if there was anything new and interesting for breakfast.


Of course there was. Ritz crackers with mozzarella and basil. Only in Japan.



My opinion? Not bad...if you're into processed cheese food. I won't be back for more, though.



I love the elderly here on Okinawa. Especially the ladies...they always have a smile and seem to have very full lives. I took this very quickly, and I don't think the effect is quite captured here, because the car she is next to is one of those mini-cars...but she is tiny. She's about the size of a six year old. I know it looks like she is pushing a stroller, but that is actually a cart that is common around here. She's pushing her groceries home.



These mirrors are common here. With so many blind intersections, they are essential. See me?



There he is. The man who should really be wearing a plaid jacket so people can see his double-talking self coming.

The story would make one long, boring, spite-filled, blog post...so I won't bother, but I'll just summarize by saying, he and I seem to agree to avoid each other. When I brought back our vehicle to be fixed (days after we bought it and already had the first crack in the bumper just from driving on the streets here) he was FULL of back-pedaling, regarding the things he had said he would do for us. He now blamed it on the port of Naha for allowing the vehicle (that we are by law, not allowed to test-drive here) to be registered with such a low bumper. The port of Naha did not sell us the vehicle, or make us any promises. Mr. Scheister here, did. I nearly blew up in his face, and the more double-talking he did, the more rage filled my body, so I just had to suck it up and walk away.

The funny thing is, I see so many people listen to and trust him. After being in the office and listening to him in action several times...really listening to the crap he is feeding people and they are eating up...I have to believe they trust him just because he's half Caucasian and speaks English. The irony is, he's been the only non-trustworthy person I've encountered off-base here. Things that make you go HMMMMM.



Here's something much happier...my latest pedicure. Snowflakes for winter.



I heart this picture! It's one of my faves.

The damage? About a thousand dollars to fix our bumper...even though 99% of it is caused by just normal driving here. Surprise, surprise...that's the amount of our deductible for comprehensive. Shocker!

To fix the other guy's car? About $400. That's one expensive scratch. So we opt to pay for it out of pocket (because they say they'll hike up our insurance 70% if we use it to pay for this) and try to find a junk yard to replace our bumper ourselves...and set out to find another insurance company. I am not paying these people (who shall remain nameless) one more dime. *COUGH (Payless Motors) COUGH*

No comments: