We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Handle With Care


I'm not one to bash the Postal Service...mostly because they bring me cool stuff...but the following pictures made me stop and ponder something I once heard. Back when I lived in Illinois in the mid-90s, I did a Pampered Chef party for someone who worked for the Postal Service. She was talking about the craziness of the holiday season...and I remember two pieces of advice from the conversation....only use white or cream colored envelopes for your Christmas cards (dark cards are hard to read) and never mark a package "Fragile". She said that postal workers are extra stressed over the holidays and if they are having a bad day, they may take it out on your fragile package, just for a tension release. I thought it was a bizarre thing to say, and I actually discarded it, especially since I hardly knew this woman and she could have been a crack pot.


Then, I picked this up from the Post Office. Notice the "fragile" label?



Handled with care. So...do you think maybe she had accurate insider information? Or is this a coincidence? Either way, the contents were fine. It did give me a chuckle, though.

No comments: