We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Last time I listen to HIM!


So, I am sure you are getting the point that we have been extremely busy lately, right? Just by the sheer volume of posting happening on Imperialstuarts? And I don't even blog about everything we attend or that happens here...only the stuff that I want to save for posterity and/or think might be interesting to the folks back home and/or is decent to photograph (some of those military functions...not so much. I'm just sayin'...hehe.)

Last Saturday, we had four different events to attend. One of them was Patrick's JROTC awards dinner, which we attended last year. For whatever reason, this year's seemed to be less organized. I don't know if I just got that impression because Patrick didn't give me timely information, or if that was a fact. At any rate, we found out about it after the RSVP deadline, sent an email to find out if it was really too late, didn't get a response, debated just showing up for the awards portion...but Patrick assured us, "It's not a big deal...I'm not even getting anything this year."

Under the circumstances, we decided we could cross this off the list. I mean, this would mean one less thing to pile onto the day's demands...and if it wasn't really about Patrick...then what would it matter?

Well...Patrick arrived home from school yesterday, and I asked him if there were any repercussions for his absence on Saturday. He said there were not, that since it was a paid event, they really can't make attendance compulsory. Then I asked him if he got any awards (just to make sure) and over his shoulder, he placidly replied, "Oh yeah, a whole boatload." Immediately, my mom guilt went off the charts. I think I started sweating, I was so instantly remorseful. And I started whining, too.

Me: "Patrick! I thought you said you weren't getting a thing?!"

P: "I know...but I had no idea."

Me: "But by the way you said it, it sounded like you were sure...why did you not tell me you didn't know for sure?!"

P: "I really didn't know."

Anyway, you get the idea. I was sick at the thought of missing an opportunity to bask in the glow of my child's accomplishments. And what must his instructors think of our no-show? Would they demote him just to get even with us? Remember our status as shirkers when it came to deciding next year's awards? I don't think I could handle the shame.

As punishment, I bought Patrick a bigger ribbon-rack to hold his THREE new ribbons (2nd athletic participation, longevity and fidelity, distinguished conduct) AND made him get into his Charlie uniform (when he had NO inspection or event at hand) so I could photograph him with his THREE certificates he was awarded...two leadership certificates AND the award for "BEST SQUAD LEADER". He was none too happy and said it was wrong to be "showboating" and disrespectful to the uniform. (Whatever! To which I replied that it was not showboating if it was for his mother.) He conceded that at least we were "even" now.

Then, I had to email the instructors to apologize for what probably
appeared to them as not making their program a priority. (Well, I guess that's really what it was, huh?) At any rate, I humbly apologized, told them our son lied was misinformed and the only reason we did not attend was that we had so many events on our schedule that day...but in hindsight, we should have divided-and-conquered, since ROTC is so important to Patrick.

Hopefully they believed me and won't write him off come next year's banquet...because you better believe, I'll be looking for another opportunity to showboat there with bells on!



2 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

I've had a few parents of my students have reported that they were not told when their child was getting an award…it's amazing just how many of them 'forget' to mention this little tidbit to their parents.

Just to let you know, I came here via cjane's blog.

Carrie Stuart said...

Welcome from cjane's blog! Yes, this happens to me all the time. My youngest is the biggest culprit. He asked me yesterday as he was headed out the door if I could make some brownies to bring to the potluck after the "stepping up" (advancement to middle school)ceremony. (What potluck?!) Then we found out he was on the program (reading the principal's bio) and receiving an award. He told us nothing!