Today was Troy's Senior Awards Ceremony at school. We were told he was receiving an award, but didn't know what it would be (just like last year), but we did know he'd be receiving his commissary and NOSCO scholarship certificates today.

Loving this color guard. I love that not only is the Pledge of Allegiance not controversial in the schools here, there is most always a color guard to lead it at events like this.

Of course I had to find Troy among his classmates and embarrass him with the photo op. (You're welcome, Troy.)

And this is Troy receiving his Presidential Excellence in Education Award. Along with the presidential seal, it came with a genuine, computer-stamped signature of President Obama. Oh...and it had someone else's name on it. Where Troy's should have been. A kid who already moved. Seems that lots of kids got someone else's certificates in their envelopes. I wonder if someone just made a mistake or if there was tomfoolery at play? I'm hoping for tomfoolery...makes a WAY better story than someone just losing their place in the count.

And this is the guy from the Foster Commissary presenting Troy with his certificate and some lapel pins. Enough for the whole family. Sweet.

The check will be mailed to the school of his choice mid-July.

This is where they had all the kids who had been awarded scholarships come up on stage while they announced the amount. See the tall guy on the far left? $194,000 scholarship! That is one expensive school!

Had to include this one. No, Troy was not selling advertising space on his suit (although in hindsight, that wouldn't have been a bad idea), it's the PowerPoint on screen-save.

I love these people. These boys are awesome...and their moms are awesomer (yes, I just made that word up). Seriously, though...we have all been blessed with great friends here.

I had to get this picture in here, just as proof that Cliff was actually here. (It's been fun to do all these end of the year events with him this year since last year he missed them all.) Patrick and Jake were still in class.

By this time we were starving. We stopped by Gen for a late lunch, where Troy had the nerve to order this dish which I had not. It looked even better in person than on the menu.
Oh, did I mention the commissary scholarship also came with a free cake? Pretty sweet deal, huh? We stopped by to pick up the cake, which was scheduled to be waiting for us. The plan was to bring it to the church pool party tonight to share with friends, since we won't be having an individual graduation party for Troy.
The lady in the bakery seemed confused. Guess the manager failed to give her the memo. I assured her he promised it would be waiting in the back. Reluctantly, she went back and checked and brought out this beauty:

*Facepalm*
At least it was free. I guess all that matters is that they spell it right on the check.
4 comments:
WOW! I am amazed. What a great kid. You must have done something good to deserve that.
Troy is a STUD!
You must be pretty chuffed right now!
Maybe your next project should be to write a book on bringing up smart kids! Well done Troy and well done you too Carrie xoxo
Thanks everyone, but I seriously can't take any credit for doing anything particularly fabulous (I'm sure Troy would agree, lol!) but I do love this kid and am so proud of him!
Post a Comment