We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring Break Beach


Between Boy Scout camp and Young Women's camp, Spring break can seem like...well, not such a break. Since we weren't traveling anywhere, we wanted to at least do some other Spring Breakish things.


And what says Spring break like hanging out at the beach?



Of course, Patrick can't just go with the flow. No. That would be unsatisfying.



If there is something to climb, he must climb it.



And make sure everyone sees that he's done it.



In case you can't read his face, this is the part where the lifeguard told him to get down because he's not allowed in this area of the water. Jellyfish. Bummer.

{I wish I had video of the old Okinawan man who was motioning to me that there were jellyfish and I should make him come out. Only, I don't know the Japanese word for jellyfish. When this became annoyingly obvious to him, he did a little pantomime which consisted of his hand biting his forearm, placing his hand over his neck and pretending to die...complete with closed eyes, tongue hanging out and gagging sounds.} You are totally visualizing it, aren't you? Who needs You Tube?



Here they all are, safe behind the jellyfish nets.



Not a lot, but it's what we got.



Since they couldn't exactly swim laps in the kiddie pool of a swim-zone, they decided to have a boys vs. girls sand castle tournament. This is the boys' square kingdom...



And here's the girls' smiley face complete with moat...



And the girls posing with it.



And the boys' posing with theirs.



Now time to get all the sand rinsed off so we can go have lunch!



But not before some more cheesiness.



What an awesome group of kids.



And these three are all mine! (Jake=Boy Scout camp)



And Susan and Sarah.

(Alicia came unaccompanied as her mom was with the younger ones at the zoo. We rescued Alicia from a preschool play day. I think she was happy about that plan.)



We wandered down the street to this place for lunch.



I don't think they minded our apparel. At least that's what we told ourselves. ("It's by the beach...it's a beach cafe'...they are used to swimsuits and towels.") Either way, at least we have the clueless American alibi. Just sayin'.



Their specialty is pancakes.



And I can see why. Yowza!



I think Sarah helped everyone finish theirs. Where does she put it?



Troy getting ready to get his nom on.



Then we headed back to the parking lot. First Sarah had to take a call from her agent.



Spring Break 2010...We're doin' it right!

No comments: