We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Brazilian Shrimp Soup


My friend Stephanie shared a link to this soup recipe on Facebook last month, and I was salivating the moment I read it. It was a fortunate day for me, as I had every.single.ingredient on hand with the exception of the cilantro, but I knew my friend/neighbor Brenda would have it because we always borrow it from each other. (Which she did. And can I just say she says it WAY cuter than I do? She has the authentic accent. I just sound white and nerdy even if I try.) I sent a kid over to fetch it, and I was in business.

Anyway, so I made it that very night...and I must bear you my testimony that this is the finest soup ever invented. And I have made and eaten some excellent soup in my lifetime. I'm not sure if it is authentically Brazilian, but if it is, they should be more known for this soup than anything else. More than Carnaval, more than that baby doing the Samba on YouTube, more than their wax...anything!

I made it again last night, and my family once again worshiped me accordingly.


I should probably print it out, in case I ever want to make it when the internet is down. (I drag my laptop into the kitchen to cook a lot.) This is me slicing all the shrimp down the middle.



Look at all those yummy onions and peppers.



The shrimp only go in for the last three minutes.



Perfection!



Wanna come over?

Or...you can find the recipe here for yourself. Let me know what you think!


3 comments:

Gina said...

Set a place at the table, I'm on my way!!!

Ana said...

Think you can ship some of that my way? Or just the cilantro, since it's way too hot to grow it out here! I am saving the recipe - someday, I'll have the ability to make it. It looks fantastic!

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

So I made this for dinner tonight....YUM! My kids are crazy and wouldn't eat it, but Rob and I both had two bowls. Delicious!