We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Okinah-Bragh, or..."The Strangest St. Patrick's Day Parade Ever"


Yesterday, I decided to head back over the the Gate 2/Park Ave. area to take some pictures of the walk I had taken over there last week (since I forgot my camera). When I tried to turn onto Park Ave. from 330, it was roped off and a security guard shooed me. Well! The nerve! I flipped back around, headed up Gate 2 Street and weaved through the maze looking for the parking area I wanted. I saw that Park Ave. was roped off in every spot which I intersected it. I figured something was going on, but had no idea what.

I had to park further away and walk...but now I was really curious. There were crowds of people, many of them decked out in green. It didn't take long to figure out. This was a St. Patrick's Day parade! Sure enough, I passed this little Irish Pub, which was responsible for all the revelry. (An Irish Pub? This is Japan!)






Then I saw these guys! Oh, how I love a marching band!



Well, at least we were going to have some authentic pieces to this display. I couldn't wait to see what else they had up their sleeves.



Of course, the announcements were all in Japanese...



And after three speeches, these dignitaries all lined up to cut the ribbon.



And the parade could start.



This guy seemed to be in charge. Maybe he's the pub owner?



I have to confess, I started tearing up right here. Marching bands tug at my heart strings, anyway...but marching bands playing the Marine Hymn? Now that's just unfair. It made me SO sentimental for home.





Lots of crazy costumes...

Wow, they start 'em young!



Oh, here come the bagpipes!



And another banner...



So, here's where things get a little fuzzy. Yes, these girls are in green...but I'm not sure what they have to do with St. Patrick?



OK...more kilts...now we're talking.






Darling boys' baseball team...not sure what the sign says...again, not sure how this is Irish...but I'm game. What else do they have?



Basketball! Hey, at least they're in green.



And of course, the very Irish Karate Dojo! Well, they do have those green headbands...



And, oh they are edible-cute! OK, they can be Irish if they want.



Is this not adorable?



And this?



OK...again...not sure on the Celtic nature of the Samurai sword...but, I'm willing to be open-minded.



OH, he's CUTE! He's my new boyfriend. Don't tell Cliff.







Wow, he's still got it, too!



OK, now I'm realizing...pretty much anything goes....



It's not about being from Ireland...



It's about being Irish for a day...whatever that means to you.

What a fun experience! And to think...I found this by accident. Next year, I have to bring the family, for sure! I wonder what other "Irish" wonders will be on display then?

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again, NICE in camera photos! Whatever cam you have is a good one. I am assuming that you still do no post camera processing. Good stuff!!

Troy said...

Pretty cool stuff. By the way, the baseball team is the Koza Tigers :)

Carrie Stuart said...

Thanks, Dad. The camera I have is a Canon Powershot S5 IS. It is the nicest camera I've owned...but I do wish now that I had spent the extra couple hundred bucks and got the Rebel. I'm looking to upgrade soon. I shoot in Auto, mostly (because I don't know what I'm doing) and other than the occasional "enhance" and crop...I don't do any post editing. Don't know how to do that, either. =^)

Troy...way to show off your Japanese skills, Mr. Smartypants. You're a handy guy to have around! =^)

Gina said...

Great photos Carrie,
My brother has moved to Japan recently for a short stint with his company and now I find the things you post on your blog even more captivating because I feel like it gives me an insight into what his family is experiencing too!

Abi said...

You are so freakin hillarious! When are you moving back? Move into O3 so we can be in the same ward! I have friends that need to meet you :)

Clint C. said...

That baby in the stroller is looking at his mom like, "You are SOOO embarrasing me!" Fun! I love how you revel in every minute!