We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holiday Baking 09


Maybe it's all the illness we've had this month, or maybe it's all the boards and organizations I've busied myself with. Maybe it's the frustration of our "one butt" kitchen here...or maybe the season just got away from me. For whatever reason, I didn't do as much holiday baking this year.



The minimum requirement is shortbread...so I at least did that. It wouldn't be Christmas without shortbread, right Cliffie?



It always seems to be a big hit with friends and neighbors.



And then I decided to do my own dipped pretzels:


First, I dipped them in caramel, and then dark chocolate. They were OK...but nothing to write home about. Don't know that I'll be repeating these...LOTS of work for not much wow factor.

I also experimented with a bar recipe which included white chocolate, peppermint candy and pretzels. It turned out all crumbly and separated easily. I don't like white chocolate anyway, so I tossed the whole pan.

Then, Molly taught me how to make Baklava. That was fun...but we overdid it on the butter and syrup...so it turned out a big wet mess. Still yummy to eat...not really suitable for giving. Next time it will be a smashing success, I'm sure.

So then I just made our standard Stuart brownies (the Baker's one-bowl brownie recipe with 2 cups of Reese's peanut butter chips instead of the 1 cup of nuts). Yummy, as always (OK...except for that one time when I put in 2 HALF cups of sugar instead of 2 cups of sugar. Those weren't so good...but other than that, ALWAYS yummy).

Anybody else have anything they always bake for the holidays?

No comments: