The eleven of you that follow this blog have probably noticed through the last year of posts that my kids have been doing GREAT in public school. I am SO happy for them. They have had some fabulous opportunities...especially the high schoolers...in both academics and sports. They've all been making great grades and enjoying new friendships. It has been so thrilling for me to watch their progress as they overcome obstacles and make their own way.
At the same time, I have to let all of you in on some secrets:
(1) I miss them like crazy.
(2) I'm jealous of their teachers.
(3) I wish I could turn back the clock to the good ol' days:
Where we could take a field trip any old time we wanted (thanks to zoo, Sea World and science museum passes).
When science was about digging your hands into owl puke...
or making chocolate that won't melt...
or playing with snakes...
not some boring, pointless project designed to put a check in a "standards" box.
(Troy as Sir Toby Belch)
When they not only had the opportunity to study Shakespeare...but to fall in love with the Bard through reading, watching, and listening to his works...
and then spending a semester preparing and then performing one of his plays.
When PE was more than dodge ball and four square...
it was fencing, or soccer, or gymnastics...or even English riding lessons.
Where I got to experience the joys of first lessons learned...not someone else.
Where education involved our entire family...
and children were able to let their interests drive their research...
not state standards...so that what they learned was a LOVE of learning...
a desire to learn more...and not how to simply regurgitate what was told to them.
For more than ANYTHING else, I want my children to learn that education is pleasurable, and it's life-long...not something to get away from as soon as the state says you don't have to do it anymore.
I hope that they have gotten that message...and that in spite of all the frustrations that can come along with institutional learning at such a young age, that they will be able to enjoy some of the benefits, too...like having other caring adults in their lives to inspire them...and friends to share in the experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment