We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Friday, December 26, 2008

In Our Thoughts Today...




We know that our friends and family back in the USA are having a wonderful Christmas right now. Ours has just wound down. (I'm actually up after an 8 hour nap...I'm still fighting to get a handle on the time change...it's not happening as easily for me as it did for Cliff.)

Anyway, I'll post some about our Christmas later, but I wanted to make sure I got this one up while it was still Christmas there...

We have had a tradition in our family ever since we spent our first (and only) Christmas apart in 2001. While I recognize that "Christmas is when you have it", still...there is something that feels so wrong and so lonely about spending Christmas apart from your partner, the one you love most...while it seems the rest of the world just goes on about their lives. Since then, we've had many friends go through the same experience, but we are also aware of the thousands of families we don't know who are making the same sacrifices on our behalf.

I don't know what is harder...trying to put on your merriest face while meeting ALL of the holiday responsibilities alone (Santa, cards, wrapping, parties, decorating, baking, caroling, etc.) so that the kids have a "normal" Christmas, when you feel anything but normal...or spending Christmas alone in the desert without those things...missing out on your kids' faces on Christmas morning, the smells and warmth of your home on Christmas Eve, and those fun traditions that make your family special...

Each Christmas, we decorate a special tree with patriotic ornaments...adding a new one each year. We put it in a prominent place, so that as we go about our days, we are constantly reminded of families we know (and those that we don't) who are making yet another sacrifice for our freedom and security.

This Christmas we are mindful of the Hardings and the Montoyas. We love you all and are praying for your peace, comfort, and an extra measure of the spirit to be poured upon you. Your sacrifice is not unnoticed or unappreciated...

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all who serve! We pray for your safety and comfort...

No comments: