We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Most Frustrating, Stressful Birthday Ever (and some awesome sushi)


College is totally kicking my butt. Or I guess technology is, rather. But since one of my classes is all about computers, and the other is delivered via the Internet...it's really the same thing.

I had a big project due for my computer class tonight. A project using Microsoft Access, to be exact. And a take-home quiz due. Through Murphy's law and a massive comedy of errors, I spent hours on the computer today trying to figure out how on earth I was going to complete what should have been an easy project to finish up. I had emailed myself the file from class, only to find out that my version of the Office Suite did not contain Access. And the one that does...costs $500. Instead, I tried downloading a free trial. This crashed my computer. Three times. No problem...I'll just get the trial version for Mac on our desktop computer. Problem...Access doesn't come with the Mac version. Well, there's always Cliff's laptop, right? Problem...he already used the free trial of Professional Office for his laptop. A year ago, so it's expired. Since it was due tonight, and having a birthday does not give me a free pass from class, homework OR my other daily responsibilities (although it should, dang it!) there was no way I was going to be able to go to the school to hammer it out in the computer lab.

About this point, I thought I might spontaneously combust. I hate technology. OK, so I love it. But today, I HATED it. Cliff was due to leave at 1:30 AM for his trip. We had tried to plan one last hurrah at our new favorite restaurant on the island, Newport Sushi. This was totally contingent upon me getting my project and quiz done. It was not looking like this was going to happen. Cliff got all packed and left to run one last errand and drop off Patrick at play practice. He told me to call if I got done and we could meet.

Through anger, tears and suppressed urges to smash my laptop against the wall, I finally got the Office download to work without crashing. I was making good progress on the project (better than I thought possible) and watching the clock. I had been looking forward to this night, was so bummed out about Cliff leaving in the first place, and now I was going to miss out on our sushi date. I finished everything I could on the project (it wasn't due until midnight, so I'd have another hour after class), grabbed my book and quiz and jumped in the van. I knew I'd spend the next month regretting it if I let this chance go by. I called Cliff and told him he could meet me at Newport Sushi if he didn't mind me working on my quiz between plates.



He didn't mind in the slightest.



Hello Cotton's Boat. I am going to eat you in one bite.
This is a mound of real crab meat, topped with shrimp, with the loveliest seasoning.



Spicy Tuna Tostada...where have you been all my life?



Heaven on a wonton.



Salmon Carpaccio Sashimi



Dressed with olive oil and citrus juice.



Stuffed Tomato really had nothing to do with tomatoes...it's tuna and crabmeat, designed to look like a stuffed tomato. Clever, no?



Just like the Volcano is not really a volcano, but seared salmon, crab and scallops topped with roe.



With a belly full of fantastic sushi, 9/10 of my quiz completed, the stress of the day behind me and a few minutes of peace and quiet with my favorite person on the planet...this pretty much summed up my mood.

In the end, it all worked out fine. I finished the quiz in class and turned in the project by 11:30. And even got thirty minutes of sleep before having to get up to take Cliff to his muster. I think making the time for our date was the key part of the equation. If I had just decided to skip it because it was too hard, even getting everything done, I still would have been ticked the whole month. Sometimes, you just gotta take time to taste the sushi.

1 comment:

Teachinfourth said...

Here's go good food.

Now if only that can was a happy can of Dr. Pepper...