We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Japanese Cell Phones


Our two-year contract with our cell phone company (AU) was up in December. Even though they have the most reception on the island, they are also the most expensive. We were paying upwards of $200 a month for 5 cellphones...for minutes we never used. We just don't use them that often, but really don't feel comfortable not having them, especially since they have saved the day on so many occasions. Things get complicated when kids get their own lives, I tell you.

Anyway, I took a scientific (Facebook) poll to find out what my other options were, trying to find the cheapest, workable alternative. We ended up going with Softbank, the biggest carrier on the island. They have a reputation for a lot of dropped calls, but we will be paying 1/4 the price, with free calls 24/7 to each other, and free calls to any other Softbank user during the hours of 2 AM to 9 PM. (Huh?! So any of you who wanted me to call between 9 PM and 2 AM, sorry...I'm too frugal.) Anyway, we don't typically need to call at length...most of our calls consist of a child saying, "I'm ready to be picked up."

The kids were all ecstatic, because this means they can call and text all their Softbank friends now. (Yippie.) We all went in on the happy day to pick out our new phones. There were several free phone options, in a variety of colors. I figured I'd stick with pink. I looked at all 4 pink options and settled on the coolest looking one. Troy chose a metallic blue (which will end up being Jake's when he leaves this summer, because it didn't make sense to do another 2 year contract for Troy when he'll only be here 6 more months). Coree chose a gold phone and Patrick chose black. After filling out the paperwork, we left so they could program the phones, and I came back alone several hours later to pick them up.

When I returned, they had the phones all boxed and bagged. I pulled mine out and had to laugh!



Yes, this is my phone!



There was no indication by the display model that my phone had anything to do with pouty jelly beans in panties.

The funnier part? Patrick picked out this same phone in black. He just tossed the box before I could get a picture.

No comments: