We are the Stuarts (formerly of Imperial) now residing in Okinawa, Japan.

This blog started from a desire to bridge the miles as we were preparing to leave the USA for 3+ years. It has turned into much more. It's part travel diary, part personal reflection, part "sociology of military life" and part mommy-blog. We hope you read something here that is interesting to you (or at least not a total waste of your time).

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Family Home Evening


I wish I knew who I could contribute this often used (by me) quote: "The human mind has an infinite capacity for rationalization." I know my mind ROCKS when it comes to rationalizing. Take Family Home Evening.* We are not consistent at holding it weekly like we should. My rationalizations..."We read scriptures together every night...with discussion questions. That's like FHE (only without the singing)." or "We do SO much as a family, every night is FHE." I'm sure I could think of others if you gave me a minute. Oh, here's another one..."Cliff is responsible for sponsoring the YSA (young single adult) FHE on the base and has to be there." You get the picture.

Regardless, we are trying to be consistent WEEKLY as we have been counseled to do. Cliff did a great lesson on The Living Christ and we each were able to share our thoughts. It wasn't complex or time-consuming, but it was wonderful. It didn't require me to cut, paste or color anything, nor were there costumes involved...but the Spirit was there.



Can you guess what we are doing here?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


Luckily, we had ice cream ingredients just begging to be used, so we combined the activity and treat together in one...



For Ice Cream in a Bag.



Cliff calls it Scout Cream (popular activity for Cub Scouts...only you play catch with the bag until it's ice cream) and I countered it should really be called Home School Cream (popular, edible science activity).



This is mine. I added Ovaltine and mixed in a chopped Take Five bar. It was heavenly.

Wish us luck in our endeavor to be more consistent. Which will most likely need to include chocolate. Just sayin'.

*I included a link to the "text book" definition, but on a more personal note, Family Home Evening usually consists of a lesson on a gospel topic (hopefully prayerfully considered to benefit the family needs), an opening and closing hymn, opening and closing prayer, a fun activity, and a treat. It is absolutely adaptable to your own family, but should at least include a lesson, even if you have preschoolers and that lesson is two minutes long because that is all they can handle. Some families do more singing, some add in scripture reading or even a talent. Some have dubbed it, "The family fight that begins and ends with prayer." Sometimes...it's just like that.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Glad to see you are still around after the storms! I was getting a bit worried.

Love the ice cream idea!