This flashback is a tough one to do, and I'm trying to focus on the happiness that it contains, and not the sadness that Cliff and I feel right now. Jay and Jamie Hare are special friends of ours...they were VERY special friends to Cliff at a time when he needed them most. When he was a young adult, working and going to college, he worked with Jay and Jamie in the hunting and fishing industry and they were also great friends. Cliff once told me that when he was really struggling with all that was going on in life, they were a source of happiness and stability in a lonely world. I am forever grateful to them for that.
(We were headed to some sort of street festival here...circa 1991)
I met Jay and Jamie while Cliff and I were dating and we had several fun, double dates with them. One of the funniest memories I have is when they were so excited to take us to a Japanese restaurant that they loved. They couldn't wait for us to try the green tea ice cream for dessert. It was served and Cliff and I each took a bite at the same time. They were looking at us expectantly as we both scrunched up our faces and said, "Eww!!" Jamie said, "You don't like it?! I love it. It reminds me of spumoni." Cliff and I busted out laughing because the day before we had had a conversation about how we both hated spumoni. Other than that, the food was great...and the company was even better.
When Cliff and I got engaged, we took a trip to Utah so he could meet my family. We planned it as a camping trip with Jay and Jamie and had a great time fishing in Beaver, Utah...



We have made many trips back and forth to Utah since, and we always think of them when we drive through that area.
They were also in our wedding...
and because of the stress involved, they decided on a much smaller backyard ceremony with no attendants...

(I'm not sure if I should apologize, or say "You're welcome".) Unfortunately, neither of us got to attend, as Cliff was in Marine Corps OCS and I was on bedrest for preterm labor with Troy, but we were there in spirit.
Through the years our contact with them has waxed and waned, depending on our location and circumstances...but we'd always catch up again. When we'd mention them to the kids and they'd say, "Who are they again?" We'd start listing things we've done with them and as soon as we'd say...
"You know, the ones with all the animals...you got the feed the pig a banana?" then they'd remember.
Jay and Jamie always had lots of animals to play with.

Fun day at La Jolla Beach...Jamie and Coree.
Jay passed away on July 12th. He had cancer. He was too young and had too much living yet to do...but we trust in the Lord and his timing. Our hearts are breaking for Jamie, who has shown so much courage and grace through this battle. Her daily Facebook updates have always been so full of faith and understanding. She was so much at peace knowing that Jay had turned his heart to the Lord in this time. In the end, what else can you ask for?
I so wish I could give Cliff a great big hug. He's lost his second close friend in less than a year...and he's so far from home, doing a tough job which surrounds him with death and grief during this deployment. I am so proud of what he is doing, but wish I could be there to comfort him. He'll have to settle for my prayers...but I have faith in their power and ability to comfort, even when I cannot.
(We were headed to some sort of street festival here...circa 1991)
I met Jay and Jamie while Cliff and I were dating and we had several fun, double dates with them. One of the funniest memories I have is when they were so excited to take us to a Japanese restaurant that they loved. They couldn't wait for us to try the green tea ice cream for dessert. It was served and Cliff and I each took a bite at the same time. They were looking at us expectantly as we both scrunched up our faces and said, "Eww!!" Jamie said, "You don't like it?! I love it. It reminds me of spumoni." Cliff and I busted out laughing because the day before we had had a conversation about how we both hated spumoni. Other than that, the food was great...and the company was even better.
When Cliff and I got engaged, we took a trip to Utah so he could meet my family. We planned it as a camping trip with Jay and Jamie and had a great time fishing in Beaver, Utah...



We have made many trips back and forth to Utah since, and we always think of them when we drive through that area.
They were also in our wedding...
and because of the stress involved, they decided on a much smaller backyard ceremony with no attendants...


(I'm not sure if I should apologize, or say "You're welcome".) Unfortunately, neither of us got to attend, as Cliff was in Marine Corps OCS and I was on bedrest for preterm labor with Troy, but we were there in spirit.
Through the years our contact with them has waxed and waned, depending on our location and circumstances...but we'd always catch up again. When we'd mention them to the kids and they'd say, "Who are they again?" We'd start listing things we've done with them and as soon as we'd say...
"You know, the ones with all the animals...you got the feed the pig a banana?" then they'd remember.
Jay and Jamie always had lots of animals to play with.

Fun day at La Jolla Beach...Jamie and Coree.
Jay passed away on July 12th. He had cancer. He was too young and had too much living yet to do...but we trust in the Lord and his timing. Our hearts are breaking for Jamie, who has shown so much courage and grace through this battle. Her daily Facebook updates have always been so full of faith and understanding. She was so much at peace knowing that Jay had turned his heart to the Lord in this time. In the end, what else can you ask for?
I so wish I could give Cliff a great big hug. He's lost his second close friend in less than a year...and he's so far from home, doing a tough job which surrounds him with death and grief during this deployment. I am so proud of what he is doing, but wish I could be there to comfort him. He'll have to settle for my prayers...but I have faith in their power and ability to comfort, even when I cannot.
3 comments:
Jay was among the very best men I have ever known. Jamie is a wonderful woman of God. May they be richly blessed.
Carrie,
This is the first I have read this entry. I had no idea that you had posted it. Thank you for recounting memories that I had forgotten. What a blessing it was to go back in my mind and recall the days in which we all hung out.
This was an even bigger blessing to me now that Jay is gone and I am able to see him at a time when he was more healthy. I am missing him terribly, but I am thankful for any and all reminders of our life together.
I love you and Cliff so much and I am so proud to still be able to call you my friends.
Blessings to you and your family all the way over there in Okinawa.
Jamie
It truly seems that too many of the good die young. It's so hard to lose them and we never forget. Only our faith can give us the hope we need to accept and even that is hard some days when you're missing them so much. Love you guys!
Post a Comment